Thursday, May 22, 2008

DAY 42 - THURSDAY, MAY 22, 2008

Wow!  I can't believe it's already been 42 days!  Time flies... seems like just yesterday they were born.  Before I know it they'll be going off to college.  (At least then I'd get some sleep!)   Reality is starting to set in that we will soon have TWO babies.  TWO diapers to change, TWO babies to feed, TWO babies to burp, TWO babies to bathe, TWO babies to dress, to console, etc etc.  And then wake up (that is, if I ever fell asleep!) and do it all over again the next day.  Today Aaron was fussy all day and required a little more attention than usual.  The thought came to me, "What am I going to do when I have TWO of them.?"  And Andrew's going to have a nephrostomy tube that will require a little extra care.  Do I sound a little worried or stressed?  Probably.  But I know it'll be busy, I know it'll be tiring but I also know it'll be double the blessings and double the joy.  I am looking forward to having the babies together, to actually feel like I have twins.  They have already been such a blessing to us.  This is just the beginning of a lifetime of memories and we are ready for it.  After all, it's been a long journey getting here.

Tomorrow is my birthday but it's been so busy that it will most likely be like any other day--feeding, diaper changes, visits to the hospital, and so on.  I was hoping Andrew would be home by tomorrow but it looks like the soonest he'll be home is Saturday.  I'll be "rooming in" (staying in the hospital) the night before he goes home to give me a chance to care for the nephrostomy tube and ask any questions to nurses or doctors.  Perhaps I can celebrate my b-day by staying in the hospital. :)

AARON -  Doing great today, a little fussier and grumpier than usual and a lot more awake.  He's been pretty constipated but after doing a diaper full he feels much better.  Aaron is pretty excited that his brother is coming home soon.

ANDREW - Today he's very excited to know he's coming home soon.  Or maybe it's me being excited for him!  Either way he's doing really well.  Today while I was visiting the hospital, the nurses and doctors discussed his discharge orders-- a home health nurse will be ordered and will come to our house 2-3 times/week to  clean and change the dressing and show me how to eventually do it.  Supplies are being ordered to care for it-- an extra drainage bag, gauzes, & tape are a few of them.  Soon he'll also have a hearing test and a car seat test (he'll sit in his carrier for an hour still hooked up to all his monitors to see if he'll remain stable) which will have to be done before he is discharged.  I am so excited for him to come home.  It'll be a long road ahead for him, and us, but I have doubt we can dot it.  Thank you for your many prayers in our behalf.

3 comments:

Allison said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I'm sure Andrew's care is overwhelming, but if anyone is up for the challenge, you guys are! Hope you have a wonderful day today and that you're able to celebrate with both boys home tomorrow. Love all the pictures!

funkitup said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Your story touches me....your pictures are so breathtaking! Good luck with it all, any help you need, we are just around the corner...even in the middle of the night so that you can sleep....Kim

Kathy Garcia said...

HAPPY HAPPY DAY! YOU DO GET TO CELEBRATE YOU- After all the hard work to get them here-what a better way to celebrate YOUR day. I also enjoy keeping up with the news. Thanks for making it available. Enjoy your 1st day at home with the twins-or should I say-in all reality-we just hope that is goes well and both boys do well for you? It will be awesome. They are just the sweetest babies. They still look so tiny-7 lbs and growing-They still don't even way what Emily did when she was born-that is funny!!! She was 10 lbs 11 oz-crazy. Happy Birthday to you-kathy

slideshow