Tuesday, May 20, 2008

DAY 40 - TUESDAY, MAY 20, 2008

ANDREW - Andrew's recovery from yesterday's "surgery" is going well.  Apparently, this morning when he woke up he was VERY hungry (since he hadn't eaten since 4:30 yesterday morning) and so angry about not being fed that he let the entire NICU know about it!  He has been fed nutrients through an IV but his normal feeding will return gradually.  Nurses fed him a small amount (about 20 cc) around 11 a.m. but that didn't make him much happier and was simply a teaser compared to his normal 60-100 cc feeding amount.  Shortly after being fed, Andrew was moved from the NICU to the Special Care Nursery across the hall.  When I went to see Andrew around 11:30 he was still very hungry (I would be too if I'd only had a few drops!) and the pacifier didn't help him any.  He's smart enough to know that's not going to satisfy his hunger.  While I was there a pediatric nephrologist came to meet Andrew and see how he was doing.  Since Andrew will need many check ups following his discharge, I'm sure we will become great friends.  We hope Andrew will be discharged within a few days but will need frequent urine tests, blood tests, and ultrasounds.  Hopefully his surgery to repair the left kidney can be scheduled soon.  (PICTURE: Our little happy camper)

(Later in the evening)- He has continued to eat well- is now at 40 cc each feeding-- and still has his IV in.  Most likely it will be removed tomorrow.  He has been very tired all day, which is no surprise after what he went through yesterday.

AARON-  Today Aaron went to the grocery store with me for the very first time and slept the entire time.  It's really nice when they're this age and so portable!  Wait a few months and grocery store trips won't be quite so easy. :)

No comments:

slideshow