Wednesday, May 21, 2008

DAY 41 - WEDNESDAY, MAY 21, 2008

(PICTURES: Andrew and Aaron are having a grumpy face contest. Please vote for your favorite)

ANDREW - Today Andrew was MUCH happier than yesterday since he is up to his normal feedings.  He also had his IV removed and hope he will be discharged soon!   It'll be a nice   birthday present for me.  When he comes home he will have his nephrostomy tube in place until his surgery takes place.  Tonight both Steve and I were visiting Andrew and doing his feeding and noticed he had several scratches on his face because some of his fingernails are getting a bit long. The hospital has a policy against having the nurses to clip them.  So I pulled out my baby nail clippers from my bag and began clipping away-- a little too aggressively.  All of a sudden I saw blood on his hands and fingers from slicing a small piece skin on one of his his fingers.  I'd better be careful or I'll be charged for child abuse!  I felt so bad... the nurse put a piece of gauze on his little finger and taped it up.  Next time I think I'll use a nail file instead. 

AARON - Although Aaron still sleeps the majority of the time he is beginning to stay awake a little bit longer (20-30 min) after feeding.  He's also holding eye contact a little longer, rather than wandering eyes.  In the middle of the night last night he was awake for a good 2 hours--after feeding he would strain and grunt, then began crying, then calmly lay there, only to do it all over again.  He was extremely constipated and after a little help with a glycerin suppository the floodgates opened, he filled his diaper, and Aaron then quickly fell asleep.  You feel so bad watching him be so miserable.  It wasn't exactly the most restful night for me either!  Before long we'll have TWO to care for.  It'll be busy and tiring but we are excited about Andrew's arrival home shortly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that Andrew wins hands down! Aaron just looks a little tired and not quite sure what to do but I'm getting sad just seeing Andrew's picture. I know he will do well through all of this-they are both amazing. WOW! Two adorable sweet little baby boys! You are right-they are keepers.... Day 40 of Andrew is a much sweeter picture to look at! :) heehee!!! That is absolutely adorable. kathy

slideshow