ANDREW- Today in the NICU nurses played "musical cribs" with Andrew. This morning when I went to visit Andrew he was not in his lucky corner anymore. He had been placed in an open crib rather than in the isolette and was now in a nearby corner. Then later in the day he was moved to a different location in the NICU and this evening when I went again he was being moved back to the spot near the lucky corner. When I mentioned to the nurse that he was no longer in the lucky corner she said she hoped there was more than one lucky corner there in the NICU. I do too! Andrew's lucky corner is a special corner to us though. Almost 3 years ago some friends of ours had their daughter in the very same corner for almost 3 months- and she did remarkably well. NICU doctors are considering moving Andrew across the hall to the Special Care Nursery, one level down. However, due to his nephrostomy tube (and all he's been through) they will ensure that he still has a Level 3 nurse. The NICU is expecting some more babies-- including a set of twins at only 25 weeks gestation. So doctors and nurses were scrambling around today getting ready for them and other new babies and shuffling cribs around. Right now things are temporarily on hold with Andrew for a couple of reasons. The urologist, who will be the one overseeing any kidney tests and surgeries, is out of town for a week. She wants to wait to do the surgery until he is at least 5 weeks old-- 2 weeks away. I can be impatient at times and am very anxious for him to be discharged but this will allow him time to continue healing from the TEF surgery and grow stronger. He is slowly improving on the bottle feeding. However, he still struggles on the sucking, swallowing, and breathing all at the same time. EAch day there's small improvement. It's just going to take time. At last check (last night) Andrew is now at 6 lbs. 2 oz., down slightly from the night before.
AARON- We are not sure exactly how much Aaron weighs but today I took an informal weight. After stepping on the scale by myself (I am keeping that number confidential!) I then weighed myself again while holding him- when he was wearing only a diaper. The difference- 5.8 lbs. So he's roughly 5 1/2 lbs. That's about what I expected. He's continuing to grow stronger each day and we will probably begin taking him places a little. It is so fun to have him home with us and we love him more and more each day. We look forward to having Andrew home eventually (3 more weeks maybe??) and having them together again.
AARON- We are not sure exactly how much Aaron weighs but today I took an informal weight. After stepping on the scale by myself (I am keeping that number confidential!) I then weighed myself again while holding him- when he was wearing only a diaper. The difference- 5.8 lbs. So he's roughly 5 1/2 lbs. That's about what I expected. He's continuing to grow stronger each day and we will probably begin taking him places a little. It is so fun to have him home with us and we love him more and more each day. We look forward to having Andrew home eventually (3 more weeks maybe??) and having them together again.



1 comment:
Hi Katie-we continue to read and keep up with the updates. They are both making such good progress. It is awesome to read and quite often gives me the chills! Love to hear that all 4 of you are doing well and especially the boys. You are right about the sleep-it won't come for years-like you said-enjoy every day! Sleep-who needs that!? ha We know that Andrew is a lucky boy-such an awesome family to have gotten to go to. They are both adorable and of course you look fabulous too! -Sorry Steve I don't ever say anything about you-you look marvelous....heehee! Lots of love to you-Kathy and Emily
Post a Comment