Thursday, May 15, 2008

DAY 35 - THURSDAY, MAY 15, 2008

ANDREW - Earlier today I went to the hospital to feed Andrew and hold him for a while.   When I arrived there were several nurses all gathered around him trying to put an IV in him. Let me just tell you it is not something you want to see.  Andrew was NOT happy.  They suggested I wait in the lobby and they'd come let me know when they were done.  I had no idea it'd take close to an hour.  During that time they had wheeled him across the hall into the NICU because they had better lighting.  When they were finally finished and I was able to see him and do his feeding--by that time it was almost an hour late--I was shocked to see just WHERE they put it.  Of all places to put it, the IV was in his HEAD!  I have never heard of or seen an IV in someone's head!  I felt so bad for Andrew and about cried myself.  While I had been waiting in the lobby the NICU doctor came to tell me just why they were inserting an IV into him.  Apparently Andrew's potassium level had gone up and for a baby with a kidney disorder this isn't good.  They will be giving him some lasic, or diarrhetic, to help bring it down.  The doctor didn't seem concerned and felt that the surgery on Monday may help to return it to normal and if not, there is medication that can.  They will also changed his formula to one that is kidney friendly.  I couldn't believe how quickly Andrew calmed down after the procedure and they told me he hadn't cried as much as expected while attempting to put it in.  You are a trooper Andrew! We love you. (PICTURE: Hey, if you had a bad day like mine, you'd look like me too.)
AARON - Today Aaron continues to do well as can be expected and eat, sleep and (sometimes) poop, what more can you ask for. We just love him so much. (PICTURE: Our little couch potato)

No comments:

slideshow