You can only imagine my relief when Sunday we had a major turn around. Up to this point we had been soothing and rocking them to sleep. But this had to end. It was taking too long and causing us a lot of frustration. I knew eventually I was going to change to letting them cry themselves to sleep but I kept putting it off, telling myself they weren't ready for it. Sunday they proved me wrong.
After talking to a friend of mine we decided to start Bedtime Boot Camp that very night. The results were amazing. First, we began bathing them before bed rather than in the morning. After a bath we read them a book and then gave them their bottle. By the time we fed them they are sleepy and ready for bed. Most importantly, once we lay them down in their crib we don't pick them up again- until morning, that is. If they cried we only went in to show them we were still here, maybe rub there head, and gently say a few things. This worked like magic! Why didn't start this earlier? With the exception of Tuesday, when they both decided sleep was not necessary, they've taken longer naps during the day, and become more synchronized. And I've been MUCH more relaxed. Not that our babies were very cranky before, but we have much happier babies. I love it!



1 comment:
You will always judge how good of a mother you are by how well your children do at ANYTHING. It is inevitable. It is also a totally false premise. I still feel that way after 32 years of being a mom! The key is trying to remember not to take it personally. Both the good and the bad.
Post a Comment