Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Andrew's new look

Any question about which baby is which??  Yesterday Andrew was fitted for his DOC band.  The purpose of it is to round out his head from its asymmetrical shape, or plagiocephaly.  That's what he gets for being the Baby A twin and then spending 5 weeks in the NICU.  

Andrew will wear it for 23 hours a day for about 4-6 weeks.  The one hour we take it off will be during bath time at which time we clean it with rubbing alcohol and let it air out.  Because Andrew prefers to turn his head to his right, his neck has short, tight muscles on one side.  To help resolved this I need to do neck stretches several times a day.  He HATES it... poor guy.  The DOC band can come off while I do this and then it goes right back on.  During the time he wears it I take him to the Cranial Clinic once a week where they do therapy and adjust the band according to the growth of his head.  As his head grows the head will automatically reshape itself to the curve of the DOC band.  During our weekly visits they will trim the band where needed.

Our first night wearing was a difficult one for Andrew.  Of course, it didn't help that he, along with Aaron, had his second set of immunization shots that same day.  Not a really smart Mom to schedule them both the same day.  Early this morning he was fussy and having a hard time returning to sleep so Steve removed the band an he went right to sleep.  For the first two days of adjusting to wearing the band, it's supposed to be removed periodically.  
Despite wearing this band Andrew looks just as cute as ever.  He is still his happy and cheerful self.

I had to add this picture too.  Last Sunday while Steve was taking a nap after church both babies awoke early from their naps and I was trying to do deal with them both.  Finally, I took Aaron downstairs and told Steve to cuddle him close and I had no doubt Aaron would fall back asleep.  Sure enough, when I went downstairs a while later they were both sacked out.  They look so comfortable.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Awww, cute! Love the picture of Aaron and Steve! And Emaline loves Andrew's "hat"--she sees kids at the store with the helmets and thinks their hats are so cool!

slideshow