Aaron got his Christmas wish a few weeks early- the tops of his new little teeth can barely be seen on his bottom gums. Last Monday Aaron woke up from every nap very fussy and crying, which is very unlike him. He had very little interest in eating. It didn't even cross my mind that he might be teething. The next day he was much happier and eating better than he had in days. While my friend, Miriam, was at my house we watched Aaron and Andrew play while we talked. All of a sudden Miriam said, "Is that a tooth I see?" Sure enough Aaron had not one, but TWO little front bottom teeth barely visible above the surface of his gums.

Ahhh...relief
Manna from heaven
There are all kinds of accessories for teething (rings, chewable tablets, toys, etc.) but my next door neighbor told me about one I'd never heard of before. She describes it as a pacifier-like thing with a net on the end instead of a nipple. Inside the net you can put ice cubes or cold fruit. The babies suck on this and it helps numb their gums. We had purchased one for each baby a while ago but hadn't used it yet. So that afternoon I pulled them out of the cupboard, put ice in them, and handed one to Aaron while he was playing in the exersaucer. Normally when he's in it he's loud and tunes most everything else out and focuses only on the toys. As soon as I handed him this teething pacifier (that's my name for it) he didn't care about all the toys around him. He sucked on that thing until there was no ice to suck. So while we traveled to Utah the next day I gave it to Aaron again and replenished it as we went along. I'm sure it won't be long before Andrew gets his first tooth.



3 comments:
What a great idea! It's so nice that he can have a little relief.
Oh fun fun! Gabby has 6 teeth now. Every new one is so much fun! It is fun to see them learn how to use them to eat though!
Ahhh. Teething must be the pits for kids! Sophie is getting a couple more on the bottom and is a little extra fussy because of it. I had never heard of that little toy--I'll have to invest in one for the next set!
Post a Comment