Thursday, July 3, 2008

Yes, I Can Still Cook!

You'd think after so long not cooking I might have forgotten how. Tonight was the first night I've cooked a REAL meal since Andrew came home from the hospital on May 24. I say REAL because I have warmed up leftovers and made sandwiches but that doesn't require much skill, time, or dirty dishes. Of course, today's meal wasn't all that extravagant- vegetable soup and rolls. No, the rolls were not homemade. But this vegetable soup isn't just any veggie soup. According to Weight Watchers it is 0 points, which translates to "eat as much as you want". I'll be sure to wash it down with some mint chocolate chip ice cream or a chocolate chip cookie. Better yet, why not both?

We certainly haven't starved since he was discharged- we have a very generous ward who care a lot. Three times a week for the month of June people in our ward brought meals for us. It helped A LOT!! Dinnertime is usually when Aaron and Andrew choose to be the most fussy and both are always awake at that time. It takes two (or one very busy person) of us to calm them down and meet their needs. Some night we can barely find the time to eat dinner, let alone fix it. So it has been very helpful for sure. Thank you Alta Vista Ward!! Now I'll see if I'm just being a little too ambitious by attempting to do it all myself.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

You need to discover the slow cooker! Then, you can prepare it whenever, turn it on when the time is right, and presto -- dinner when you want it! It's a dinnertime saver when I'm teaching piano lessons all afternoon!

Kathy Garcia said...

Katie-
I know I haven't commented in a long time-but we still keep up with you and the family. Boy are those boys growing-happy and healthly. We think you are both doing an amazig job by the sounds of it. Cooking? I have a 12, 14, 16 year olds and still don't do a true sit down cooked meal each night. I'm lucky to do them 3 times a week and then on Sunday. So you are doing awesome!!!! Love that veg. soup too. I make huge batches of it and then eat it all the time. Boys look too cute. Glad all is well. Take it easy and enjoy the summer-I'm sure it is hot there. We are at a 100 degrees and we are dying-we have become big whimps. Take care and keep up the awesome bloggin' we love to check in and see what's up!

Happy 4th to your family.
Love-Emily and Kathy

Anonymous said...

so what's the recipe for the veggie soup?

slideshow