This last weekend I made a depressing discovery- I have some gray hairs. Steve wasn't very sympathetic (he's got a head full) and reminded me that it's part of getting old (thanks, Steve) since I recently turned a year older. Rather than blaming it on old age I'd rather blame it on my role as a mother and dealing with unhappy children from time to time. Already I'm occasionally dealing with sibling rivalry and they're not even quite fifteen months.
Since Andrew can walk (Aaron can't yet) and is stronger, bigger, and can be a little aggressive he can seem like a bit of a bully. But after what he's been through with surgeries, ultrasounds, esophagrams, and needles and tubes in about every hold in his body I think I'd be a little tough too. I don't mean to make him out as the bad guy all the time (because he's not) but he can seem a little intimidating to Aaron. Sometimes when Aaron sees him walking, or even crawling, towards him he assumes his toy will be taken away. True, Andrew's favorite thing is whatever Aaron has in his hands but this isn't always the case.
Even though Aaron and Andrew will never know what it's like to be an only child they are starting to be a little jealous when I've got the other one in my arms. Earlier today I was sitting on the floor reading a book with Andrew when Aaron looked over, started whining/crying, crawled over to me, and started to climb onto my lap. Andrew wasn't pleased and began letting Aaron know how he felt. After a few minutes I put Aaron on my lap and let Andrew go. Then it was Andrew's turn to become upset.
I just noticed how outdated the pictures are on our blog. Maybe when they start kindergarten I'll have a little more time to post new ones.
Thank goodness Aaron and Andrew are both easygoing and very happy babies, but in different ways. Sibling rivalry, unfortunately, occurs in all (normal) families and probably at all ages. I think in the last 3 months they have both been learning so much and are gradually becoming toddlers and no longer babies. I love watching them grow and progress... even the 'rivalry'.



3 comments:
Hey - what's that cool car they're driving off in?
It's funny how early they learn. Jenna gets whinny when I'm doing Bella's hair or holding her.
Ah yes, Becca and I certainly had some fun times when we were younger. These boys are so cute though! And I love that Andrew is the total tough guy now, after being so vulnerable when he was born. Interesting how these things turn out!
Post a Comment