Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Best Man and more

No, I am not talking about the best man in a wedding.  I am referring to my wonderful husband Steve.  He truly is the best!!  For the first time since the twins were born I had a break, and not just a break while they were napping.  Our ward had our annual overnight Women's Retreat in St. George this last Friday/Saturday.  But I got to leave Thursday evening and spend all day Friday and most of Saturday to myself.  After Steve's work schedule change in July to four ten-hour days each week he suggested I go up Thursday evening instead of Friday.  Okay, if you're going to make me!  Let me just say what a well needed rest that was! (Note:  I didn't exactly get sleeping rest.) Friday I slept in a little, read in bed, went to the temple, did some shopping, had lunch with Sharon, read some more, had dinner with friends, and then had some fun with the sisters in our ward.  I NEVER get a full day like that to myself.  It was wonderful!  And then there was (most of) Saturday too.

While I was enjoying myself Steve was dressing the boys, feeding them, changing diapers, cleaning up, putting them down for naps, going on a bike rides, playing at the park with them, bathing them, putting them to bed, plus all the stuff in between.  And he did it all over again the next day.  He has accumulated about a year's worth of Man Points in just two days.  Although he has always appreciated what I do each day I think he has a new level of understanding and appreciation.  When I returned home Saturday evening he was exhausted!!  Steve told me he now understands why I am so wiped out when he gets home from work around 6:45 (and the boys are fed, bathed, and sometimes in bed).  He was still so exhausted this afternoon that he crashed sitting up on the couch.

At the Park
We have three great parks within walking distance of our house.  Lately we have been spending time there almost daily.  Most days after my walk I stop at the park with my walking friend and her little boy.  And most Fridays and Saturdays Steve and I go fora  bike ride with the boys and then stop at the park before returning home.  Until recently going to the park alone was not fun for me.  Only Andrew walked, Aaron was more clingy, and they had no concept of heights.  Now it is much easier.  Both boys walk, Aaron doesn't want to be held all the time, and they LOVE going down the slide alone.  After sliding down they'll walk over to the steps, climb up, walk across the bridge, climb a few steps to the slide and go down again.  They'll do this routine probably a dozen times before tiring of it.


Andrew LOVES dogs!  Whenever he sees one he says, "Doggie, doggie..." and begins walking to it.  Most of the time the owners are willing to let he pet the dog. He has no fear of dogs whatsoever.  However, we have no plans to get one anytime soon.

Aaron loves going down the slide and always turns himself around backwards before sliding down.

One day Andrew would not let go of my helmet the entire time we were at the park, 
even while climbing up the steps and going down the slide.

They love going down the slide together.  Andrew watches while Aaron goes down...

and Aaron watches while Andrew goes down.

Aaron and Andrew are now 17 months. Within each passing day they they interact more and are more and more fun.  They love chasing each other, making faces at one another, and laughing and screaming.  A month ago we moved Aaron's crib back into Andrew's room after being in his own room for 8 months.  Until that point Aaron would usually fall asleep almost immediately due his regularly shorter naps. Andrew would jump, walk, move around, and make noises for almost an hour before crashing.  However, after joining them together it got worse.  Despite Aaron being wiped out he'd manage to stay up talking to Andrew and copying whatever he was doing.  Gradually he became more fussy, cranky, and more tired.  He still wakes up just as early and still only takes an hour and a half nap.  Andrew usually naps at least an hour longer than Aaron and awake and ready to go until late in the night.  So with some regret we moved Aaron back into his old bedroom again.  It was fun to see them together and I liked having my sewing and computer room back.  But I'd rather have a more rested and cheerful baby.  We'll see if it makes much of a difference.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It's almost time for nursery...YEAH!

slideshow