Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sick babies, tired parents

Aaron and Andrew have had the sniffles in the past, but NOTHING like the last week.  For the past week both babies have been sick with the flu and have been really cranky and fussy every day.

It started with Aaron and within two days Andrew had it full force too.  For four days they both had a fever, coughing, totally plugged noses, and very little appetite...and lots of crying.  We've just about reached the limits to how much mucus we have suction out of them.  They've probably done more crying in the last 5 days than they have in the last 5 months!  

Aaron had wheezing from bronchitis and last week we were sent home from the Pediatrician with a nebulizer and enough medication for what seems like a year's worth.  That's a good thing because when I could finally take Andrew in to the Doctor (thanks to a 3-day weekend) he had the same thing.  That was no surprise!  So the extra medication has really helped.   And if you've ever done these breathing treatments, they take FOREVER- just for one baby.  Then double that and it feels like that's about all I've been doing the last two days. Unfortunately they just won't sit there and breathe it in, they either have to play with the nebulizer or get really cranky because they are tired of it stuck in their face. 

Each night we've had to get up at least once with each baby.  When I started feeling sorry for myself I realized I'm a little spoiled now.   It's like deja vu all over again.  In the first 4 or 5 months we had to get up EVERY night to feed them once or twice.  I think I've forgotten how nice it is that they have been sleeping 11-12 hours through the night.

It's not easy to see your kids suffer.  Not that I enjoy being sick, but I'd rather it be me than them.   Of course, I had it before them and passed it on.  It'd been a while since I've had the flu/cold that bad and it was miserable.  I learned firsthand that Moms can't get sick, and if you do there's no break. However today they have begun to start feeling better and their runny noses are beginning to slow to just a drip.


"Aaron sporting a very red and sore nose"


"Andrew not much in the mood to do anything"

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugh that sucks. I had to do the nebulizer with Donovan (and then inhalers with aerochambers after that) and it took forever. I just ran across some extra sterilized tubing and cups and thought about tossing it but decided to ride out the winter. Now that Gemma is hacking and phlegmy and feverish, I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before she has to get hooked up. Boo! Just say no to RSV!

Allison said...

Poor guys! Hope they're feeling better now, and that you're getting more sleep!

slideshow