Tuesday, April 29, 2008

DAY 19 - TUESDAY, APRIL 29, 2008

ANDREW-  Earlier this afternoon I had the chance to go to the hospital to visit Andrew and (try) to feed him a bottle.  As I held him in my arms and looked down at him tears came to my eyes as I thought about what a miracle he is.  It is only through the hand of the Lord that he is here today and progressing so well.  Andrew is such a blessing to us and has already brought us so much joy in the short time he's been here.  It's amazing what this little boy has been through in the last 18 days and how well he has pulled through.  According to doctors' orders he is being fed with a bottle twice a day, or once each shift.  The remaining feedings (which are every 3 hours) are given him through the feeding tube.  Nurses are careful to feed him when he is awake and alert because he is usually able to drink it all up.  However, when they know I will be coming in they leave it for me to do--awake or asleep.  So far I haven't been lucky enough to find him awake enough to drink the whole thing.  But it brings me great joy to just be able to hold him and love him-- asleep or awake.  It's only been since Saturday that he was even drinking from a bottle and that was only at 10 cc's every 3 hours.  Andrew is tolerating it so well that he is now up to 40 cc's.  He still has a long way to go before he is able to coordinate the sucking, swallowing, and breathing routine down and not need the feeding tube.  But I have no doubt he will be able to accomplish this. Doctors and nurses are continually monitoring him for possible acid reflux but so far he's done super.  Today they switched his IV from the nutrients & electrolytes he has been receiving to a regular IV with saline.  So each day he gets better little by little. We love this little guy and are so proud of the strides he makes each day. (PICTURE: Katie feeding sleepy Andrew)

AARON- Aaron is no less miraculous to us than Andrew is.  We are so grateful for his good health.  Since we were told that hydronephrosis is most likely a genetic defect we may carry, we feel it a blessing that Aaron has a clean bill of health.  We'd love to have Andrew home too but we are so glad Aaron already is.  All he really does is eat, sleep, and poop but according to everything I've known and heard that's a very normal newborn.  We love him more and more each day.  He is very content and is usually pretty consistent in the time he is hungry. But this evening he has had a bit of trouble sleeping and eating consistently.  But we are working hard to keep him to a consistent schedule.  During the ultrasounds I'd have during pregnancy he was seen to have hiccups several times and he continues to have them at least once a day soon after he is burped. Sometimes his hiccup spells go on for quite a while. (PICTURE: Aaron is so cute)

2 comments:

laura said...

Reading your updates is the highlight of my morning! I'm glad the boys are doing so well, and especially that you finally get to hold Andrew. Those boys are adorable!

Elder Larkin said...

Katie,
We are so excited that all seems to be going well with your precious little boys. I cried when I read your blog. I remember how I felt after each baby of mine, and how much love and concern I had for them, even though they were very healthy. Aaron and Andrew are so adorable. Well wishes for you guys!

slideshow